Pages

Friday, April 23, 2010

Hisashiburi=Long Time, No See!

Well, it's been quite a while, an embarassing long time in fact, since I updated my blog! I'll pin it down to having too much fun in Japan ;-) I could spend paragraphs backtracking and updating what I've been up to since *gulp* April 13, 2009...but I'm lazy and can't be bothered ha. Besides, Facebook can tell you all of that! Instead I'll tell you what I'm up to today. And that's counting down the hours before I head to Northern Honshu, (Tohoku) for a week of roadtripping, onsen-ing and cherry blossoms. I'm ridiculously excited and as soon as 4.15 rolls around I'm racing out that door!
Our (that would be Toye and I) plans include: a 7 hour ferry trip from Hokkaido to Aomori prefecture where we'll see the largest outdoor golden Buddha (Seriously, who could pass that up?), and a 4 hour hike and a soak in a lovely milky hot spring (just like a postcard!). After Aomori we're headed to Iwate prefecture...where limestone caves, a rock-splitting cherry tree and...the infamous Wanko Soba. Giggles aside it's basically a small dish of soba noodles and soup, it's served in a tiny little bowl and the idea is to eat as many of those little bowls as you can. One of my friends in Yuni managed to stomach 52. So that's what I'm aiming for! Wish me luck!
Next is Akita prefecture. First up a trip to the deepest lake in Japan (I wonder if we can swim in it?), several 'castle towns' and another hot spring dip! Last stop is Miyagi prefecture where we'll see the Akiu waterfalls, eat cow tongue and yet another hot spring before a ferry ride back home.
The ferry leaves at 12 tonight. Bring it on.

0 comments: